National Night Out is an annual event designed to bring communities together with law enforcement to reduce crime. But why haven’t we attended before? And why is it held on a different day in Texas?!
This week, we discuss the history of National Night Out and how we feel about its impact (or potential impact) on communities today. We dig into what the event was designed to do, who sponsors it and try to look into some of the criticism of the event.
- National Association of Town Watch / National Night Out
- KQED – A National Night Out — Without Police
- U.S. Dept. of Justice – NNO Fact Sheet (1999)
- Night Out for Safety and Liberation
- Vox – National Night Out Promises Police-Community Partnerships. It Needs Police Accountability.
- USA Today – Recent Police Violence Brings Special Significance to National Night Out
- It’s Going Down – Insane Pictures of Police and Kids at National Night Out