Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | RSS
Well, the Winter Olympics are wrapped up for another 4 years, so this week we take a look at some of the crazy sports. We talk about our favorites, learn how they started, and Mike shares some WTF facts that… well you should just hear for yourself.
The Winter Olympics were a ton of fun this time around and even though the U.S. didn’t sweep the games, our athletes were still incredible and inspiring. We watched a lot of sliding events this year – especially 2-man and 2-woman boblseigh – so it was great getting to learn how that sport (as well as luge and skeleton) came about.
There were some heartbreaking moments this year – like when Elana Meyers Taylor and Lauren Gibbs of the U.S. women’s bobsleigh athletes lost the gold medal to Germany by only a few hundredths of a second!
Also some amazing stories of perseverance – like when the Jamaican bobsleigh team lost their coach (and sled!) just days before the games. Red Stripe beer came to their rescue!
We’re sad to see the games end, but we’re already looking forward to watching Tokyo 2020 and Beijing 2022!
Also, for your viewing pleasure, we present the latest music video from Hubertus von Hohenlohe – a Mexican Olympian, who is also a prince of a German territory, and also a popstar. Listen to the show for the WTF scoop on this guy!
Music in this episode:
- “Austin” by Hubertus von Hohenlohe
- “Royal Disaster” by Hubertus von Hohenlohe
- “Olympic Fanfare” by Stephen Rucker and the Olympic Anthem Orchestra
- CBS Sports – 2018 Winter Olympics Medal Count: Norway dominates, Team USA’s final tally
- The Guardian – The U.S. Fell Short at The Olympics and Things Could Get Worse
- Time – Why Norway Is So Good At The 2018 Winter Olympics
- Vulture – Why NBC Shouldn’t Worry About the Winter Olympics TV Ratings
- ESPN – The U.S. Stunk At The Winter Olympics Until Extreme Sports Came Along
- Reuters – Bobsleigh: Upbeat Jamaicans can’t wait for their moment in the sun
- The Guardian – Jamaican bobsleigh team back in business thanks to offer of new sled
- CNN – The Jamaican women’s bobsled team needed a sled when its coach left. A beer company stepped up
- CBC – No snow? No problem for Nigerian bobsled hopefuls
- Excelle Sports – The creative ways Winter Olympians train when there’s no snow or ice
- Wikipedia – Bobsleigh
- Wikipedia – Skeleton
- Wikipedia – Luge